Foam rolling is a self-myofascial release (SMR) technique. Essentially, it is a form of self-massage which releases tension in the fascia (connective tissues).
Every time you workout, your muscles naturally become inflamed and tight, which can lead to muscle soreness and fatigue if not properly looked after.
Foam rolling after your workout, will help relieve this tension, resulting in increased recovery times and less muscular pain.
Other benefits of foam rolling include:
- cheaper than other fascial release techniques (cupping, massage, scraping)
- once of payment, then can be used over and over again
- can be performed in the comfort of your home, for example whilst watching tv at night time (or at any time of the day, anywhere!)
- reduces inflammation
- can increase range of motion
- can reduce appearance of cellulite
- can help you to relax
All in all, foam rolling is an amazing tool to help you in your health and fitness journey!
If you would like to purchase a foam roller check out our Wave Foam Rollers here at Strive Athletica.